6 thoughts on “*Mar.22 – Notice: Precautionary Boil Water Advisory – Consecon/Carrying Place Drinking Water System

  1. The Boil Water Advisory for the Trenton Water Service Area impacted approximately 3,900 residents who were notified using the City’s PRISM notification system.

    The advisory will remain in effect until the water has passed two separate tests so will likely be in place until at least Friday.

    Early on Wednesday morning, Quinte West experienced an extensive watermain break in the Trenton water service area affecting all customers.

    Chief Administrative Officer Charlie Murphy said it was a break in a 20-inch watermain on Pelham Street by the Public Works yard.

    It was discovered around daybreak and he was informed of the problem around 7:30 am.

    Until further notice, they are asking that residents in the Trenton water-service area not attempt to use any water.

    Emergency repairs are being made as quickly as possible.

    There is no timetable yet for the restoration of water service.

  2. How to use water safely during a “boil water advisory”

    This provides basic information only. It must not take the place of medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always talk to a healthcare professional about any health concerns you have, and before you make any changes to your diet, lifestyle or treatment.

    What are the reasons for a “boil water advisory” ?

    1. A boil water advisory is based on information other than bacteriological examination indicating that the water in not safe to drink. (e.g., the lack or absence of disinfection residual in the drinking water.)

    2. A boil water advisory may be based on bacteriological (microbial)examination, including the finding of bacteria or parasites.

    3. A boil water advisory may follow the occurrence of an outbreak of illness in the community that has been linked to consumption of the water.

    The extent of restriction on water use depends on the situation and the reason for issuing a boil water advisory. Always follow your own health unit’s recommendations on water use.

    How do I use water when the boil water advisory has been issued ?

    The water should NOT be used for drinking, making infant formula and juices, cooking, making ice, washing fruits, vegetables or brushing teeth.

    For these purposes, boiled water or bottled water should be used.

    The water should be brought to a rapid rolling boil and boiled for 1 minute.

    If there are children in the home, place the pot on the back burner to avoid scalds.

    Boil only as much water in a pot as you can comfortably lift without spilling.

    Discard all ice made previously and disinfect the ice cube trays. Make ice using boiled, cooled water.

    Can I take a bath ?

    Adults and teens may shower with untreated water as long as no water is swallowed.

    Older children could also be given a shower with a hand held showerhead, avoiding the face.

    Younger children should be sponge-bathed instead of bathing in a tub because they are likely to swallow tub water.

    Can I use the water for handwashing ?

    If the boil water advisory has been issued as a precaution and there is no outbreak of human illness, there is no need for additional hand disinfection with bleach solution or alcohol using the measures described below.

    If the boil water advisory has been issued because of an outbreak, water can be used for handwashing after the following emergency.

    Water treatment: Place 1.5 oz (about 45 ml) liquid household bleach in 10 gallons (45 litres) water. Mix and let stand for at least 10 minutes prior to use.

    How else can I disinfect my hands ?

    You can use alcohol-based hand disinfectants, containing more than 60% alcohol. These products are widely used in the health care setting after washing hands or in situations when water is not available.

    The wet wipes used for cleaning babies at diaper change are not effective for disinfecting hands and should not be used for this purpose.

    My child was ill with diarrhea. Should I clean/disinfect toys ?

    Yes, toys should be cleaned and disinfected.

    If the toys are visibly soiled, wash them first with soap and water and then disinfect with a freshly prepared bleach solution (1/4 cup (about 60 ml) bleach in to 1 gallon (4.5 litres) of water).

    Dip toys in to this solution and airdry them. Cloth and plush toys could be washed or dry-cleaned.

    I have a dishwasher. Is it safe to use ?

    If your dishwasher has a hot setting, it safely disinfects dishes.

    If your dishwasher does not have a hot setting, after finishing the cycle, soak dishes for 1 minute in a solution of 1oz (30 ml) of bleach mixed with 3 gallons of lukewarm water (13.5 litres).

    Let dishes air dry.

    I wash dishes by hand. How do I disinfect them ?

    You could use boiled water for washing dishes.

    Dishes washed in soap and hot water can also be rinsed in boiled water or disinfected with the following bleach solution.

    Mix 1 oz. (about 30 ml) bleach in to 3 gallons (13.5 litres) of water at room temperature for at least 1 minute. Let dishes air dry.

    What is disinfection ?

    Disinfection is a cleaning process which destroys most disease-causing microorganisms (pathogens).

    How do I disinfect countertops, chopping boards or utensils which have come into contact with raw meat ?

    Countertops, chopping boards or utensils which have come into contact with raw meat should be washed with soap and hot water first, then disinfected with a bleach solution stronger than that used for emergency hand disinfection.

    Mix 1/4 cup (about 60 ml) bleach in to 1 gallon (4.5 litres) water for this purpose. Do not reuse or store this solution, but make it fresh daily.

    Should I change the way I am doing laundry?

    No, continue doing laundry the way you usually do.

    If you have to launder sheets heavily soiled with faeces, carefully remove soil before you place the sheets into the washer, without much agitation of the cloth.

    Use rubber gloves when handling heavily soiled sheets.

    Is the water safe to fill wading pools for children ?

    No, the water is not safe to use in wading pools. Water usually gets into the mouths of small children, providing a possibility for infection.

  3. Boil Water Advisory Issued for Trenton water service area west of the Trent River, Consecon, and Carrying Place

    Hastings Prince Edward Public Health/March 22, 2017 – Hastings Prince Edward Public Health has issued a Boil Water Advisory for the Trenton water service area west of the Trent River, and users of municipal water in Consecon and Carrying Place.

    The Acting Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Kieran Moore, is advising users of the water to bring water to a rapid boil for at least one minute prior to using it for domestic purposes – e.g. drinking, making infant formula and juice, brushing teeth, washing raw foods and making ice.

    This advisory has been issued as the result of a major water main break which resulted in a loss of pressure.

    Users will be notified through the media and on the HPEPH website when the Boil Water Advisory has been lifted.

    Public Health is also working with the Municipalities of Quinte West and Prince Edward County to inform water system users of the boil water advisory.

    For information about using water safely during a Boil Water Advisory, please review the attached fact sheet.

    For more information, call Hastings Prince Edward Public Health at (613) 966- 5500 Ext 677.

    Media Contact:

    Andrew Landy, Senior Public Health Inspector
    613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803 ext. 249

    About Hastings Prince Edward Public Health

    Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) operates one of 36 health units across Ontario. HPEPH provides dozens of programs and services, along with reliable health information, to a population of approximately 150,000 people in a 7,000 square km catchment area encompassing 17 municipalities. HPEPH’s mission is to enable the people in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties to achieve and maintain optimal health through health protection and promotion, as well as disease and injury prevention. For more information, please visit You can also find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

  4. A boil water advisory continues for Trenton and the northern portion of Prince Edward County.

    The Hastings Prince Edward Health Unit issued a boil water advisory on Tuesday for all customers west of the Trent River along with residents in Carrying Place and Consecon after a 20-inch watermain broke at the Trenton water supply facility.

    Dave Dodgson, environmental health manager for the health unit said they are still waiting for test results on the Trenton water supply that are expected back Friday but the County could be waiting until Sunday for its advisory to be lifted.

    Until the boil water advisory is lifted residents are reminded to bring water to a rapid boil for at least one minute prior to using it for domestic purposes – e.g. drinking, making infant formula and juice, brushing teeth, washing raw foods and making ice.

  5. There’s good news for some people who’ve been affected by the boil water advisory for the past couple of days.

    Public health officials say test results that have come in over the past 48 hours meet, or exceed, provincial water standards and the advisory has been lifted for affected homes on the Trenton Water System.

    However, due to the distance between the initial watermain break and the possibly affected homes in Carrying Place and Consecon, the precautionary advisory is still in effect for those areas.

    PEC staff say there could be a delay in any contaminated water reaching those areas, but to this point, no bad water samples have been obtained.

    Another update will be provided as soon as the advisory is lifted in Carrying Place and Consecon.

    If you have questions or concerns, you can call Prince Edward County municipal staff at 613-476-2148 or Hastings Prince Edward Public Health at 613-966-5500 ext 677.

  6. Notice: Boil Water Advisory Lifted for Consecon/Carrying Place

    Consecon/Carrying Place –

    As a result of a watermain break in The City of Quinte West, a precautionary boil water advisory was issued by the Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit for all municipal drinking water system customers connected to the Consecon/Carrying Place Drinking Water System on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.

    Effective 3:20PM, March 25, 2017, the Boil Water Advisory has been lifted by the Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit for all users of the Consecon/Carrying Place Drinking Water System.

    Sampling and testing confirms that the drinking water meets or exceeds the Provincial Water Quality Standards.

    All customers may resume normal use of the municipal drinking water for domestic purposes; however customers may wish to flush household plumbing through the cold water taps until water runs cold to the touch.

    The County is committed to providing a consistent supply of safe drinking water to all consumers of The County’s municipal drinking water systems.

    For more information, contact the County of Prince Edward at 613.476.2148 ext. 1023 or

    Please note: The County of Prince Edward provides this information as a service to the general public. While we do our best to provide accurate information, construction projects and associated service disruptions are subject to change based on weather, road, traffic, and other uncontrollable conditions.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *